Mexico Visa Policy

Check Mexico’s visa policy for all foreign travelers wanting to visit the country.

Visa policy for Mexico

The Mexico visa policy determines whether a foreign citizen needs a visa or entry authorization to travel to the country.

Mexico offers different types of visas and travel documents depending on the applicant’s nationality, the duration of the intended stay, and the purpose of the trip.

Nationals of less than 70 countries are able to gain visa-free access to Mexico for short stays, either up to 30 days for transit or 180 days for business or tourism stays.

All visitors to Mexico are required to obtain an FMM tourist card to enter the country, whether they need a visa or not.

The FMM is an electronic entry authorization that must be obtained by all citizens whose intention is to travel to Mexico for tourism, leisure, or business purposes, regardless of nationality, if they are entering the country by land or air.

Some travelers to Mexico also need to obtain a Mexican visa or other authorization in addition to an FMM.

This may either be a SAE authorization, required for citizens of 3 nationalities, which can be applied for online, or a consular visa by submitting an application at the nearest Mexican embassy or consulate. The latter application method must be initiated well in advance of travel.

All foreign travelers whose purpose is to travel to Mexico for long-term stays or for work or to study must apply for a Mexican embassy visa.

There are currently no Mexican visa bans in place for any foreign nationalities.

Tourist Visa Policy for Mexico

The Mexican tourist visa policy states that Mexico offers different types of visa for tourism depending on the applicant’s nationality.

All visitors to the country are required to apply for and receive an approved FMM online tourist card before they can gain access to the country at Mexican land border checkpoints and airports.

Citizens of 3 countries are required to register with the Electronic Authorization System (EAS), to receive an approved eVisa waiver that allows entry into the country for tourism by air, in addition to an FMM.

Citizens of roughly 170 additional countries are required to apply for a Mexican embassy visa for tourism well in advance of travel, from the nearest government diplomatic office of Mexico.

All tourist travelers who wish to enter the country must have a passport with a minimum validity of 6 months from their date of entry to Mexico, and request the FMM online in advance, as it is a mandatory requirement.

Find below further information about the types of authorization or visa foreign travelers need to visit Mexico for tourism.

FMM Tourist Card

The visa policy of Mexico establishes that all foreign citizens traveling to the country by land or air for tourism must have an approved FMM tourist card. All travelers are able to apply and pay for this document online, whether flying to Mexico or planning to cross a land border.

The FMM Mexican tourist card may be obtained online using a simple electronic application form, which must be completed with basic personal and passport information and some details about the intended stay in Mexico.

In order to successfully submit the FMM application, it is necessary to have a current valid passport, a working email address, and a credit or debit card in order to make the FMM fee payment.

Once the FMM has been processed, the applicant will receive the approved travel document at the email address provided at the moment of the application.

An approved Mexican FMM tourist card is valid for a total of 180 days from the moment an immigration stamp is applied to the document (upon arrival in Mexico).

Tourists from all countries around the world need to apply for this electronic entry document as it is a mandatory requirement to enter Mexico.

However, the FMM is not a visa. Visa required citizens for Mexico will have to obtain both, an approved tourist card and a valid visa to enter the country.

FMM Tourist Card: Country list

  • Afghanistan
  • Aland Islands
  • Albania
  • Algeria
  • Andorra
  • Angola
  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Aruba
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahamas
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Barbados
  • Belarus
  • Belgium
  • Belize
  • Benin
  • Bermuda
  • Bhutan
  • Bolivia
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Botswana
  • Brazil
  • British Indian Ocean Territory
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Bulgaria
  • Burkina Faso
  • Burundi
  • Cambodia
  • Cameroon
  • Canada
  • Cape Verde
  • Cayman Islands
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • Chile
  • China
  • Christmas Island
  • Cocos Islands
  • Colombia
  • Comoros
  • Congo
  • Cook Islands
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Cuba
  • Czech Republic
  • Democratic Republic of the Congo
  • Denmark
  • Djibouti
  • Dominica
  • Dominican Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • El Salvador
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Eritrea
  • Estonia
  • Ethiopia
  • Falkland Islands
  • Faroe Islands
  • Federated States of Micronesia
  • Fiji
  • Finland
  • France
  • French Guiana
  • French Polynesia
  • Gabon
  • Gambia
  • Georgia
  • Germany
  • Ghana
  • Gibraltar
  • Greece
  • Greenland
  • Grenada
  • Guadeloupe
  • Guam
  • Guatemala
  • Guernsey
  • Guinea
  • Guinea-Bissau
  • Guyana
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Hong Kong
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Ivory Coast
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kenya
  • Kiribati
  • Kuwait
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Laos
  • Latvia
  • Lebanon
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • Libya
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Macau
  • Macedonia
  • Madagascar
  • Malawi
  • Malaysia
  • Maldives
  • Mali
  • Malta
  • Marshall Islands
  • Martinique
  • Mauritania
  • Mauritius
  • Mayotte
  • Moldova
  • Monaco
  • Mongolia
  • Montenegro
  • Montserrat
  • Morocco
  • Mozambique
  • Myanmar
  • Namibia
  • Nauru
  • Nepal
  • Netherlands
  • New Caledonia
  • New Zealand
  • Nicaragua
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • Niue
  • Norfolk Island
  • North Korea
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • Norway
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Palau
  • Palestinian Territory
  • Panama
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Paraguay
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • Pitcairn Islands
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Puerto Rico
  • Qatar
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Reunion
  • Romania
  • Russian Federation
  • Rwanda
  • Saint Barthelemy
  • Saint Helena
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Martin
  • Saint Pierre and Miquelon
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Samoa
  • San Marino
  • Sao Tome and Principe
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Senegal
  • Serbia
  • Seychelles
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Solomon Islands
  • Somalia
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • South Sudan
  • Spain
  • Sri Lanka
  • Sudan
  • Suriname
  • Svalbard and Jan Mayen
  • Swaziland
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Syrian Arab Republic
  • Taiwan
  • Tajikistan
  • Tanzania
  • Thailand
  • Timor-Leste
  • Togo
  • Tokelau
  • Tonga
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • Uganda
  • Ukraine
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United Kingdom
  • United States
  • United States Virgin Islands
  • Uruguay
  • Uzbekistan
  • Vanuatu
  • Vatican City
  • Venezuela
  • Vietnam
  • Wallis and Futuna
  • Yemen
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

Sistema de Autorización Electrónica (SAE)

The Mexican Electronic Authorization System or SAE (Sistema de Autorización Electrónica) is an online application system designed to provide electronic authorization for travelers from eligible countries.

An approved SAE authorization for Mexico allows foreign citizens from a select few countries who are traveling by plane to Mexico to enter the country for transit, tourism, or business purposes without a consular visa.

This electronic visa has a validity of 30 days from the date of issue to enter Mexico and is valid for a single entry to the country. Upon arrival, travelers are allowed to stay in Mexico as tourists with a SAE for a maximum of 180 days.

SAE does not apply to travelers entering Mexico by land or sea, or passengers traveling with a non-participating airline. These visitors must have a valid Mexican visa or a valid third-country visa to enter the country.

Mexico Embassy or Consular Visa Required

Mexico’s visa laws state that travelers from around 170 countries need a consular visa to enter the country no matter the purpose and duration of the trip, meaning that they must complete the process of obtaining a travel document at their nearest embassy or consulate.

The process of obtaining a consular visa usually involves making an appointment at the nearest diplomatic government office of Mexico.

Different types of Mexican embassy visa are issued depending on the purpose of the intended travel, whether as a tourist visa, business visa, study or work visa, or other visa type. This must indicated when completing the Mexico embassy visa application.

Depending on the Mexico visa option the applicant chooses, it is necessary to provide different supporting documents such as the details of their trip (accommodation reservation, round trip flight), as well as a bank statement confirming sufficient economic stability to cover a stay in the country.

Those traveling to Mexico for tourism or business will need an FMM Tourist Card as well as the appropriate visa.

Applicants are advised to make a consular appointment well in advance of the intended arrival date in Mexico, to ensure sufficient processing time to receive visa approval.

Mexico Embassy or Consular Visa Required: Country list

  • American Samoa
  • Antarctica
  • Bonaire
  • Curacao
  • Isle of Man
  • Jersey
  • Sint Maarten
  • South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
  • Tuvalu

Visa Not Required for Mexico

Travelers from roughly 70 visa-exempt countries for Mexico do not need to apply for an electronic or consular visa for tourism, business or transit purposes.

Visa-exempt travelers who come to Mexico for tourism or business can stay for a maximum of 180 days without a visa, while travelers who want to transit through the country can stay for a maximum of 30 days visa-free.

For longer periods of intended stay, visa not required nationalities must apply for the relevant embassy visa from the nearest Mexican diplomatic government office.

Additionally, travelers of all nationalities who have a valid visa or permanent residence for select countries (Canada, any country in the Schengen area, Japan, the United Kingdom, or the United States) do not need a Mexican visa to be able to enter the country.

Although a visa is not necessary, all foreign citizens entering Mexico for tourism by air or land need to obtain an approved FMM tourist card before arrival. This process can be easily completed online.

Visa requirements checker

Select nationality

Related News

  • With the rise of remote workers, the possibility of working while travelling abroad has become a reality. Many countries have now introduced special digital nomad visas to cater to these visitors. The idea of a visa for digital nomads has become popular due to the coronavirus pandemic. Since 2020, many more countries have launched their

    Read More
  • A passport is the key to traveling abroad. However, some passports are considered to be “stronger” than others. The world’s most powerful passports are those that offer the greatest travel freedom. The strongest passports are those that allow the holder to enter the most countries easily, without extra entry requirements, such as visas. There are

    Read More
  • The Jamaican Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, has called for the introduction of a shared CARICOM visa for Caribbean Community member states. Barlett made the proposal during the inaugural Organization of American States (OAS) high-level policy forum in Montego Bay,  Jamaica in late July. The 2-day event saw the attendance of representatives from more than

    Read More
  • People who have more than one citizenship may also hold multiple passports. This raises a number of questions about taking a trip abroad. How does traveling with two passports work? Should dual citizens bring both passports? Which one should be shown at border control? Can you enter a country with one passport, but use the

    Read More